An Exceptionally Rare Eighteenth Century Green Glass & Ormolu Chandelier

An Exceptionally Rare Eighteenth Century Green Glass & Ormolu Chandelier
Height: 72” 183 cm
Diameter: 40” 101.5 cm
Origination: English
Circa: 1790

A sixteen-light chandelier in green glass with ormolu mounts, the ‘S’ shaped arms arranged in two layers of eight.  The chandelier is of traditional, late 18th century form with canopies above and below, cut stem pieces surrounding a central urn and with the receiver bowl, the urn and the top finial retaining their original ormolu mounts.

The notch-cut arms date this chandelier towards the end of the l8th century. It is likely that it is by the London firm of William Parker & Son.  A very similar, slightly later green chandelier has, until recently, been hanging in the Durbar hall in Lucknow, once the capital of the kingdom of Awadh in India.
The survival of this chandelier is remarkable. Originally it would have had green storm shades to make it punkah proof’, but these shades have long gone and been replaced by nozzles as would have been used on chandeliers for the European market. Similarly, all the original drops are now adorning Indian temples and have had to be replaced. Otherwise the chandelier has only had the normal repairs of age, a few pans replaced when cracked and likewise a few sections of the arms. The remaining arms, all stem pieces and all metalwork are original, with the metalwork being re-gilded after nearly two hundred years in the lndian climate.

The arms are all in two parts, joined by a cast ormolu collar of leaf form, this method of manufacture giving strength, particularly in the lower, ‘S’ shaped arms.

Provenance
Private collection, USA
Malletts PLC. Illustrated in Mallett,  2004.

Free world wide shipping