Diameter: 5 1/4" 13.5cm
The crisply chased ormolu bases with four yellow cut glass columns. These support a similarly chased ormolu domed canopy beneath a diamond cut glass stem supporting Van Dyck drip pans and nozzles. The candelabra hung with a combination of clear and yellow glass pear drops and cushion cut and floral finials.
The candelabra bases are modelled on miniature temples, in this case with the finest ormolu we have seen on candelabra of this period and lemon coloured glass columns and drops adding to their rarity.
A pair of candelabra with temple bases is illustrated in M. Mortimer, The Glass Chandelier. Plate 53 in which he attributes them to Parker & Perry. Both were leading manufacturers before their partnership but together were commissioned to produce a fifty-six light Chandelier for the Crimson Drawing Room in Carlton House at a cost of over £1,000. It was completed in 1808 and was fourteen feet high and six feet six inches in diameter. William Pyne, whose great work on the Royal Palaces was published in 1819, considered this chandelier to be one of the finest in Europe. Many of Parker and Perry’s chandeliers were removed at the dismantling of Carlton House, and placed in Buckingham Palace where they remain today.