Diameter: 18" 46cm
Circa: 1860 - 1870
Post boxes of this period were normally made to sit on a table. This example, being full height, is most exceptional and extremely impressive. The golden colour oak is fine quality and the condition very good.
This box is based on the full size street pillar box and named after its architect designer, JW Penfold. First erected in 1866, the Penfold pillar box was hexagonal in shape with the top decorated by acanthus leaves and balls. It was manufactured by Cochrane, Grove and Company in three different sizes. The Penfold pillar box continued to be manufactured for thirteen years, but with fifteen modifications to the design.
The furniture firm of Robert Strahan and Co was founded in 1776. Operating from premises in 10-11 Chancery Lane, by 1815 it was so successful that two new workshops opened at 24-25 Henry Street and 5 Leinster Street in 1845. They displayed their work at Dublin’s great industrial exhibition of 1853, where the best examples of Irish design and manufacture were on show. In 1870 the firm moved to Abbey Street and continued to trade under the well-established family name up until 1969.